Albumen workshop is the only workshop of its kind offering an opportunity the learn to intricacies of of one of the most important techniques in history of photography.
The first print making technique that made a real, industrial scale career dominating photography for dozens of years. Suffice it to say, that just one factory making albumenized paper used seventy thousand eggs per day. Albumen print may seem to be a simple technique, in reality, however, it requires considerable knowledge and care in order to get the best results, especially if we aim at full control over the contrast and colour of the print.
We offer a two day practical workshop during which we will not only learn to make albumen prints, but also the more advanced elements of the process. We will learn to prepare a variety of albumen recipes, control the print contrast and use a variety of toners.
During the workshop we will learn to:
- Prepare matt and glossy albumenized paper using a variety of recipes,
- increase the image contrast,
- sensitize the albumenized paper,
- expose and process the albumen prints,
- prepare negatives for albumen printing (both large format and digital negatives),
- tone the albumen prints,
- prepare the images for presentation in a conservator friendly way.
We also provide an opportunity to print your own negatives (including printing negatives from your own digital files) and to prepare photos in our studio should you wish to do so.
The following will be provided for all the participants:
- materials necessary for albumen printing including toners,
- papers appropriate for the technique,
- albumenized papers,
- all necessary tools,
- UV light sources,
- practice negatives,
- a fully equipped darkrom,
- two computers with photo editing software for image selection and edition,
- facilities to print large format negatives from digital files (4 per person),
Instructor: Radosław Brzozowski
maximum number of participants: 6
Duration: 2 days
languages: English and Polish
Price: 190 eu.
dates: March 20-21, 2021
Location: Tricity School of Photography, Świętojańska 100/6 St., Gdynia: Poland.
Nearest airport: Gdańsk Rębiechowo
We don’t offer accommodation, but will be pleased to give advice where it could be booked.