Oilprint, along with its sister technique of bromoil are among the most beautiful manipulative processes associated with pictorial photography and the American photosecession. It is a painterly technique which, like few others, allows for a huge level of image manipulation and thus self expression. It’s enough to say that this was the technique of choice of such masters as Gertrude Kasabier.
During the two day workshop participants will acquire all the skills necessary to start independent work with this beautiful technique. We will:
- learn to prepare papers for oilprinting. This way we will once and for all free ourselves from the necessity to hunt down the papers suitable for bromoil printing.
- learn to sensitize the papers and prepare a matrix for further oilprinting.
- finally we will learn the difficult art of inking the matrix so as to bring out and manipulate the image.
We will also learn what tools can be used to create oilprints and practice using them
The following will be provided during the workshop:
- fully equipped darkroom for our practice,
- papers prepared for oilprinting,
- papers suitable for preparing oilprinting papers,
- printing inks,
- all tools necessary for creating oilprints
- UV light sources and other tools necessary for exposing images and creating oilprinting matrix.
- practice negatives
- tea and coffee during the whole workshop.
Instructor: Radosław Brzozowski
Dates: February 20-21, 2021
Language: Polish and English
Location: Tricity School of Photography, 100/6 Świętojańska St, Gdynia, Poland
Price: 190 eu.
maximum number of participants: 6
Though we don’t offer accommodation, we will be pleased to offer advice on booking it.
You might also enjoy a video about one of our recent projects: https://vimeo.com/149867990