Ambrotype – two day workshop is a unique opportunity to learn one of the most beautiful photographic processes.
The magic of wetplate photography or, to be more specific, of ambrotypes, hasn’t passed for over 150 years which have passed since the invention of the technique. The image made of silver on glass, magical, glittering with subtle hues fascinates in the 21st century just as much as it did in the 19th. And just as it was in the times when it was invented, for most of us the technique still is a mystery, something almost mistical. It seems that it is even more of a mystery now than in the past.
Our two-day workshop in making wetplate ambrotypes will not only allow participants to learn/revise the rules governing wetplate photography but will also offer practical opportunities to use these skills under the tutor’s guidance and with the help of professional models taking part in the workshop.
The programme of the workshop covers:
- a quick revision of using large format cameras,
- a presentation of the wetplate ambrotype process including chemical recipes,
- preparing glass for ambrotype photography,
- coating glass with collodion,
- sensitizing and processing wetplate,
- two photographic shoots with professional models,
- varnishing the ambrotype,
- analysis of photographs taken during the workshop.
All participants will be provided with:
- glass plates,
- chemicals necessary for wetplate including salted collodion, iron developer, fixer, sensitizer and varnish,
- a darkroom for preparing and processing wetplates,
- a photographic studio prepared for wetplate work,
- two professional models for the shoot assisted by a MUA/stylist,
- free use of a large format camera,
- a detailed handout.
Participants are welcome to bring their own 13×18 or 18x24cm cameras.
Instructor: Radosław Brzozowski, the author of the first Polish ambrotype textbook; Ambrotypia – Przewodnik praktyczny (Ambrotype – a practical handbook)
Duration: Saturday to Sunday, 16 hrs
Language: English and Polish
Maximum number of participants: 6
Price: 270 euros.
Date: 2-3 October, 2021
Location: The Tricity School of Photography, 100/6 Świętojańska St, Gdynia, Poland. All the work is done using the school studio and darkroom as well as the immediate surroundings.
We don’t offer accommodation but will be happy to advise where it can be booked.